Friday, August 14, 2015

Yoshida

Location: Yoshida

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Dinner
Price:  1800 yen
Payment:  Credit cards accepted
Dishes:  Stamina okonomiyaki, mushrooms fried in butter
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: Yes

Yoshida is near Shiori Station, which is across the 16 from Daie mall.  It's a small spot, but clean and welcoming to foreigners.  They specialize in anything cooked on a teppan (the flat cooking surface made famous in the US by Benihana type restaruants).  They don't do the crazy theatrics, but they do cook your food in front of you on the griddle, and I appreciate that they don't make me do it myself.  I ate here once a long time ago for lunch and keep meaning to bring my wife back as their okonomiyaki is quite good.

Buttered mushrooms
They have an excellent English menu and choices range from the usual okonomiyaki, to yakisoba and other such things that are typical for this type of place.  I noticed a "butter fried mushrooms" dish and decided that needed to be on my list.  It was very good, nice and buttery with salt and pepper.  Simple, but perfect.  I ordered the "Stamina 1" okonomiyaki (there is also a "Stamina II") with kimchi.  Since I was alone I sat at the bar, but there was a big teppan there and it was cooked in front of me.  He actually left it to cook a lot longer than I usually do, which resulted in a nicely crispy exterior, while the inside was well cooked.  I was able to forestall the application of the nasty sweet sauce that I hate, and only mayonnaise was added as a topping.  I found it quite delicious.

Stamina Okonomiyaki
They also have lots of shochu and sake available, if your interested in trying several.  Since they had everything so conveniently labelled in English, I was able to try out several shochus that were wheat, black sugar and rice based.  Usually shochu is made from potatoes and I have not really enjoyed it much.  But the rice based one was quite good so I think I'll ask for rice based shochu in the future.




There aren't too many okonomiyaki spots in Yokosuka, and while this one was still Osaka style (I prefer Hiroshima style), it was one of the better ones I've had so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment