Saturday, August 29, 2015

Ryuen

Location: Ryuen


Rating: Not great
Meal:  Lunch for 3
Price:  2540 yen
Payment:  Credit cards accepted (but prefer larger bills)
Dishes: Fried rice and two unidentifiable teishokus
English Menu:Yes (Only the main menu)
Smoking: Yes


Ruyen is another of Yokosuka's many sub-par Chinese restaurants.  I have eaten here before and so wasn't looking forward to reviewing it.  But it must needs be.  We went to lunch today, the 3 of us, and my son was looking forward to some chahan (fried rice).  They hadn't eaten much rice at all in the US.














The lunch menu is all in Japanese, but the main dinner menu does have some English.  We went for the cheaper lunch items and each of our dishes was about 800 yen.  My son got the "5 things" fried rice, and my wife and I picked some items off the menu that we weren't entirely sure of but knew they contained pork and vegetables.








Mine was a mixture of ground pork and bamboo shoots in miso sauce.  It was intensely salty.  My wife's was a goopy mixture of various meats and some vegetables.  Not very flavorful.  My son's rice was fine...he had the best dish no doubt.  We were able to eat it, but we weren't impressed.  There was a funky smell in the dining room and the water tasted metallic.  Also the little pickled things which I usually love were horrid.  I couldn't eat more than a bite.  My wife tried one and was equally horrified.  She said it tasted like stinky feet.  The egg soup was good though a bit flavorless.



I can't really recommend this place overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment