Thursday, August 27, 2015

American Grill

Location: American Grill


Rating: OK
Meal:  Lunch
Price: $10
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Kalderatang baboy and two barbecue pork sticks
English Menu:Yes
Smoking:No

I know it's called "American Grill" and it's one of the food court restaurants in the large NEX store on base, but really, the only things I've ever eaten there are Filipino dishes.  There may be other things you can order, such as burgers, but I have never seen the point.

The quick food choices are all displayed in a little warmer, and usually they have adobo or a couple of other items, including Japanese style gyudon (beef bowls).  They also have BBQ pork sticks that taste pretty close to what you'd buy off of a street vendor in Manila.  They've even been sitting there for some time and have that chewy, gristly feel.  Winning no awards for food quality, it's probably pretty close to a food court experience in any mall in the Philippines (i.e. ok, but not incredible).

 Today they had kalderatang baboy (pork calderata), a name I was surprised popped directly into my head as I looked at it.  This is how it is with Tagalog...sometimes I don't even know I know it and then there it is, tripping off the tongue.  Not that I can actually speak Tagalog.

The food was ok...it tasted about right...if a little bit canned.  I'm sure the potatoes, carrots and pork were fresh, but not sure about the rest of it.  The rice wasn't great (as with most rice on base) and I didn't finish it.  I'm always surprised by how unpleasantly full I feel after eating anything on base, and it was pretty much the same result.  Oh well...it's nice to have something other than pizza, burgers, fried chicken and taco bell as food options.

No comments:

Post a Comment