Friday, August 14, 2015

Hamakura

Location: Hamakura
Rating: OK
Meal:  Lunch
Price: 850 yen
Payment: Cash only (ticket machine)
Dishes: Fish rice bowl with cold soba
English Menu: No
Smoking:No

I had "B teishoku" aka Blue
 Hamakura is a little restaurant sitting on the coast road a bit further down towards Uraga, but still in Yokosuka area.  It's on the same block as the Yokosuka Fish Market (which is sadly not open to the public), so it makes sense that they specialize in sushi and sashimi.  I've eaten there a couple of times in the past, but usually for dinner.  Today I had the car again (3rd package to pickup this week!) so I didn't want to waste an opportunity to try something a little further afield.

First of all, I don't know if they have changed things or not, maybe it's just a lunch thing, but it's a bit tricky to navigate and quite unlike anywhere else I've ever been.  There is a ticket vending machine, but instead of having everything clearly labeled, some items just say "A" or "B" and you have to find the display to see what those are currently.  I went for the "B teishoku" because it looked more appealing than A.



The code:  This is what A vs B will be like
The vending machine will spit out a plastic token that corresponds with the color you selected.  Take this token down to the other end of the (rather crowded at the time) dining room to the counter and hand it to the guy who is yelling out numbers in Japanese.  He'll take your color token and then hand you a plastic white token with a number on it.  Now it's time to practice your Japanese number listening skills!  I did well this time (I think), and heard my number called out over the hubbub while I waited at my table.  Back I went to grab the tray with my food and sat down to enjoy it.

The actual dish, pretty close!
The "B teishoku" turned out to be a type of "don" (rice bowl) with lettuce, some pieces of sauteed veggies (eggplant and pumpkin), and two pieces of fried fish of some kind (saba/mackerel maybe?).  Luckily there were no bones in the fish to render the experience less enjoyable.  It also came with a small bowl of cold soba noodles in sauce with additional mushrooms thrown in.  Also quite good.  Overall, it was a pleasant meal, though the environment is a bit stressful with all the people and shouting going on.  Since I've done it once maybe next time it won't be as much of a shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment