Monday, April 20, 2015

Wan Zhu Ji

Location: Wan Zhu Ji

Rating: OK
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  1380 yen
Payment:  Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Black Sesame DanDan noodles, fried rice, gelatinous goop
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: No

We are currently attending Grace Harbor Church in Toyosu, quite close to downtown Tokyo.  They meet at a mall called LalaPort Toyosu.  After church, my son and I set out to try one of the many, many restaurants in the  mall.  We stopped at Wan Zhu Ji, mainly because of the adorable noren with a set of 6 pigs riding a single bicycle.  The menu outside looked great, and I was hoping for an awesome Chinese food experience.

Unfortunately, the food wasn't as awesome as I was hoping for.  It looked really good, especially the Black Sesame DanDan noodle set I got.  My son just got a larger version of the fried rice that came with my set.  I have to say the almond jelly was one of the best I've ever had, being very creamy.  But the dandan soup was very mildly flavored.  It's always advertised as being spicy...but it rarely is.


It was quite a bit of food, but 1300 yen was a bit more than I would have liked to pay for it.  I didn't include my son's fried rice in the cost because I forgot how much it was.  If the food had been fabulous, I wouldn't have minded the price, but as it was, I don't think it was worth it.  The service was a bit haphazard too, somewhat unusually for Japanese staff.  It took me several yells of "sumimasen!" to get someone's attention long enough to take my order.

On the whole, it was a bit disappointing, but no more so than usual for Chinese cuisine in Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment