Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Maruhan Mikasa

Location: Maruhan Mikasa

******Update 11/9/2018******
Last month this neighborhood fixture closed down.
**************************
Rating: OK
Meal:  Dessert
Price:  110 yen
Payment:  Cash Only
Dishes: Black filling round taiyaki
English Menu: No
Smoking: Probably not


So, I'm pretty sure Tokoroten is not the place's name, (edit:  it's Maruhan Mikasa) but it's the most obvious thing I can read when I come up to the place.  Tokoroten is apparently some kind of agar jelly noodle eaten with a sweet sauce, so I have no doubt they probably have the dish there, but this place is more famous for the round-style taiyaki (not shaped like fish though) that the proprietor is constantly cooking out front.






There appear to be other types of desserts available inside, and possibly some Yokosuka Navy Curry (I saw a sign for it), but the main draw here will always be the round things.  I wish I knew their name, but no amount of googling helped me and I forgot to ask.

Personally, while I don't mind them, they don't blow my mind.  They are quite dense though, and not terribly sweet, so they would make a good mid-afternoon snack, or for filling out a very small lunch (as in my case today).  I do appreciate that the batter appears to be a bit less refined than the usual taiyaki batter.  It's a little less pancakey.

No comments:

Post a Comment