Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Genchan

Location: Genchan

***Update 3/29/2019***
Daie/Aeon mall is now closed!!
********************
Rating: OK
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  1200 yen
Payment:  Credit Cards accepted
Dishes:  Mix and match set of sashimi, tempura on rice
English Menu:No
Smoking:  No


Fake food galore
Tsukiji Shokudou Genchan is a Japanese seafood restaurant located in Daie mall.  It's one of several clustered together on the second floor.  Eventually I'll get through all of them.  Genchan is where I go when I'm feeling like some lighter fare, as they excel in several delicious sashimi bowls.


Big sashimi and tempura bowls




There is no English menu unfortunately, but the menu they do have has giant pictures that make picking your meal quite easy.  There's also a large display of fake food out front.  It can get busy at lunch, so there's a place to sign your name if there is no room (get there at 11:15am to 11:30am and you'll have no trouble).




All 6 choices


I've had several dishes there in the past, including the tuna/salmon/avocado bowls (beware of mayonnaise if it's not your thing), fried chicken in a sweet sauce, miso katsu (not as good as Ootoya's), and today I added the mix and match mini-bowl set.  There are six choices for this dish and you pick 3.  It comes as 3 small bowls of rice with the topping you selected.  You also get a dessertish thing of clear gelatin cubes in sugar sauce, plus a bowl of miso.  Their miso is a bit seaweedy (lots of small bits), so if you don't like that...well...don't drink it.  My 3 bowls were mixed chopped salmon/tuna with a sesame miso paste, tempura, and 3 pieces of sashimi (salmon, tuna and something else).  It's pretty simple fare, nothing I would write home about, but nice for a change of pace now and then.  Even though the 3 bowls of rice are quite small, it adds up to quite a bit of rice so I was satisfied.  I haven't come away hungry any time I've eaten there.


My meal
As with most places in Daie, they take credit cards, which is a plus.  The staff is very friendly and serves with the usual Japanese efficiency.  I do recommend giving it a try if you are looking for a change of pace from the other options at Daei mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment