Friday, October 30, 2015

Masagu

Location: Masagu


Rating: Very good
Meal: Lunch
Price: 750 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Tsukemen (dipping ramen noodles) and rice with some meat and veg on top
English Menu:No
Smoking: No (I don't think)

Masagu is a new spot for me.  Most of the ramen restaurants reviewed on this site I had already tried several times before actually reviewing them.  But this place is tucked down a side street over by Womble Gate and I didn't even know it was there until I reviewed the place next to it a few months back.  Every time I've been back they haven't been open yet, since they don't open until 11:30am.  Today I was a bit late for lunch so I decided to walk over there and catch them as they opened.
It's very unassuming outside and I was expecting the usual grimy, smoke-filled, slippery floored establishment, but it's very open and clean inside.  It looks like its trying to be more of a ramen shop/sake bar, and there are lots of nice looking sake bottles lining the bar area.  There are no English menus, but the menu is pretty simple.  Just ask for ramen or tsukemen (dippiing noodles) and you'll be fine.


I went with the tsukemen set which came with a little rice bowl topped with stir fried veggies and meat.  The rice dish was nothing special.  But the tsukemen was quite good, with noodles that were a little softer than usual, but great texture.  The tsukemen was nice and concentrated, but not overwhelmingly salty, and the charsiu pieces had good flavor while not being overly fatty.

Quite a nice lunch for the price and I'm looking forward to coming back and trying the ramen proper!

No comments:

Post a Comment