Thursday, May 14, 2015

Tajima

Location: Tajima

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  980 yen
Payment:  Cash only, ticket machine
Dish:  Miso Chashu Ramen with a soy sauce egg
English Menu: Yes
Smoking:  Probably

The other day a fairly typical debate broke out at work.  The never ending quest to find good ramen means that we frequently have arguments over where the best ramen in Yokosuka is located.  There was a time when I could answer that question with no hesitation, but since my horizons have broadened some of my old favorites have lessened in my sight.  Interested to see what my co-workers thought, I asked them, and a couple elected Tajima as the best in town.  Always hopeful, I decided to give it a go today, since I had never eaten there before.

It's a bit of a walk from base, but I had my bike with me today, so it was easily within distance.  The weather has just started getting really nice here, the delicious time between the end of winter and the beginning of summer that is a blend of spring/summer without the humidity yet.  Today was a bit warm for my taste, but not so bad that I was a mess when I got back to work.  If driving, I'm not sure that there are any convenient parking spaces nearby.  But if you feel bold, you can always park just outside on the street.  If you eat fast enough, you might be just under the legal time limit (and most people give cars parked outside of ramen shops a little leeway).  Personally, I've never had the guts to try it...and fast as I tend to eat, I still like to actually taste my food.

Tajima appears to have 4 types of ramen:  Shoyu (soy sauce), Miso, Shio (salt) and something I've never seen before called Shinasoba.  After some googling, it appears this is the original name for ramen when it was first introduced to Japan back in the day.  There is some suggestion it has a bit of a negative connotation associated with imperialism, but others say it doesn't have as much of a stigma today as some places imply.  The bottom line is it seems to have a thinner soup, and wontons frequently show up.  I did not try it today, but it sure looks like a good candidate for next time.


I ended up with a miso chashu (or charsiu - roasted pork slices) and a soy sauce egg.  The prices aren't bad, but as you add more stuff it can hit 1000 yen pretty quickly.  I was warned away from getting a large or extra large set of noodles, and it's probably a good thing I didn't get them as I was plenty full afterward.  I saw some of the other bowls there and they were huuuuge.  The broth was pretty good, if a bit salty.  Not as rich as some, but it was satisfying.  The pork was also nicely done, soft and melty.  No complaints about the egg.  I wish the noodles were a little thicker, but these are probably about perfect for "standard" ramen noodles.  I asked for them to be done al dente (kateme de) and they were suitably chewy.  Another nice touch was a huge bowl of fresh kimchi that you could just dish yourself up with however much you wanted.  It wasn't bad for Japanese kimchi.

So yeah, better than ok!  I am looking forward to trying some of the other choices on the menu next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment