Friday, May 1, 2015

Hananoya

Location: Hananoya
Looks like a kid drew their sign...

Rating: Excellent
Meal:  Dinner
Price:  2700 yen
Payment:  Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Chorizo and Mustard sauce chicken
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: No


French isn't a cuisine I know much about.  Generally I haven't been impressed, but then again I've never eaten at truly good French restaurants, so what would I know.  Tonight I cast about for a new place to eat and came across Hananoya, a French restaurant I've seen before but never eaten at.  It's small, and there is just the chef and one waiter.








I was drawn in by the menu outside which had chicken in a wine mushroom sauce.  Unfortunately, this wasn't on the actual menu, replaced by a chicken with mustard sauce.  Since the other options said they were for 2 people, I decided to go ahead and try the chicken.  There was a chorizo appetizer that looked good too.  And then I saw a glass of pinot noir wine and since I am from Oregon, I felt it my state patriotic duty to try it (it was a French pinot noir, but still).





The chorizo came with a basket of sliced bread that was quite good.  The chorizo itself was very thinly sliced and while nice, not amazing.  I wouldn't get it again.  The wine warmed up and became excellent over the course of the meal.  When the main course arrived, it was roasted chicken with a light mustard sauce, arugula and deep fried potato wedges.  Nothing special to look at.  As I took bites however, I was blown away by the flavors and how well they combined together.  Quite the surprise!  It makes me want to try the other dishes.  I think I know where I'm taking my wife for our anniversary dinner!

**************************

12/14/2015  Update:  My wife and I went back this spot last night.  Wow...it really is that good.  We had a pork and foie gras terrine, buttered lobster and lamb with madeira sauce.  Everything was delicious.  I'm glad to report that Hananoya continues to deserve the rating I gave it originally.

No comments:

Post a Comment