Thursday, July 30, 2015

Piacere

Location: Piacere

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Dinner
Price:  1500 yen
Payment:  Cash only
Dishes:  Seafood pesto pizza
English Menu:Yes
Smoking:No

Piacere is located in one of those tiny alleys that bisect the blocks next to Blue Street.  It's at the opposite end of the same alley as the standing yakitori spot.  I once tried to eat lunch here with a friend who had heard they had a real wood fired oven.  It was closed that time though, so we went elsewhere.






It looks quite small, with a single table and bar seating, but there is an upstairs available too, though I'm not sure if you have to rent the whole space out or not.  There was a birthday party happening while I was there, so I saw lots of people going upstairs.

The waiter spoke very good English and provided an English menu and dinner specials.  They have lots of dishes available, but I went for the dinner special as it was easier.  Basically, pick a pizza or a pasta, and it comes with coffee or tea and a salad.  Not bad for 1500 yen considering the upscale feel of the place and the usual expense associated with Italian food (for some reason).




Salad
The salad was delicious, composed of several types of lettuce and topped with what I think were some kind of pink peppercorn, and a very light vinaigrette.   It was served on a cutting board (for style points I guess).  The pizza itself was cooked very quickly in the wood fired oven.  I ordered the pesto based Genovese as I didn't want a tomato base and the other option had no sauce base.  I wasn't sure if I'd care for the seafood topping, but was hopeful.  It arrived with some nicely blackened  bubbles of dough, smothered with cheese, and topped with shrimp and squid that I think was cooked in the oven itself, so still nice and tender.  The cheese was not bad, still a bit processed, but at least not as bad as some.  There was more on top than is probably normal for "genuine" Italian pizza, but hey, I don't care since I love cheese.  The dough as also a bit thicker and fuller, but it was great!  Not sweet at all.  Actually I have to say I loved the whole package, and I don't know if the wood fire/smoke makes a big difference in flavor, but it seemed to do so.

Genovese pizza
Quite a nice place, and I'm looking to bringing my wife back here some time.  That dinner special is hard to beat for the price, and the food was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment