Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Radianza

Location: Radianza


Rating: Very good
Meal: Lunch
Price: 2300 yen (just my meal, my friend's was 1500 yen)
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Lunch course with uni spaghetti
English Menu: No
Smoking: No

Lunch special menu

Radianza is a small Italian restaurant located near Shioiri Station in Yokosuka.  It's walking distance from work, so a friend and I tried to eat there last week.  The sign says open for lunch at 12 noon, but the chef said he wasn't open today as he had just returned from the market.  We asked about when we could have lunch and he said next week Tuesday if we reserved.  So...don't expect to necessarily find this place open at noon as advertised.  Due to the small number of seats, I would recommend reservations (046-876-7828) for dinner (and to verify it's open).

Appetizers

For lunch, there is a set lunch course for 1500 yen with 2 entree options and a 3rd uni spaghetti entree option for an extra 800 yen.  The menu is entirely in hand-written chalk Japanese, so it's not easy to understand unless you are fluent.  The chef speaks very little English as well, so it's a bit of a challenge.  My friend and I didn't have too much trouble though.  I ordered the uni and he had the beef ragout.

Bread

First was a plate with lots of little items on it:  a bit of cabbage, pickled onions, a carrot, some fried fish, grape leaves, a slice of salami, potato and cauliflower salad.  Every bit of it was very tasty, with rich, bright flavors.  Then some bread, which I passed on as I figured I'd be getting a carb overload with the noodles.  Sure enough, my uni arrived on a bed of very thick, very al dente spaghetti noodles.  Other than uni and olive oil, there was a wedge of lemon.  The uni was nice and fresh, but the noodles were a bit too al dente for my taste.  Also I'm supposed to be cooking noodles past al dente these days for my stomach's sake, but I'm sure he will cook the noodles to your preference if you tell him.  My friend's beef ragout came next with a delicious smelling beef sauce drizzled over cannelloni noodles, also al dente.  My friend said his dish was also very delicious.

Uni spaghetti
We finished with a choice of coffee or espresso.  I had the espresso, which was made with Italian Kimbo coffee using his own espresso machine.  It was the perfect end to a long leisurely meal.   Which is something to keep in mind, this place is not fast food.  We started eating our main dishes about 40 minutes after arriving, so not an every day lunch spot.  And we were the only people there.

Beef ragout

Overall this place is quite the little gem, probably the best Italian I've had in Yokosuka.  Definitely rates a high Very Good and may even go into Excellent territory.  I'll return with my wife some time to eat dinner and update if needed.

Espresso

No comments:

Post a Comment