Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Aztecas

Location: Aztecas


Rating: OK
Meal:  Dinner for 2
Price:  4000 yen
Payment:  Cash at the moment, cards coming later
Dishes: Chicken tacos, carnitas tacos, avocado salad
English Menu:Yes
Smoking: No (but smokers stand right outside the door and smoke comes in sometimes)

Warning:  Does not appear to be open for lunch...maybe that will change in the future.


Machu Picchu has been replaced by Aztecas, a Mexican restaurant, and is being run by new owners.  There is an Aztecas restaurant in Yokohama (larger I'm told) that is owned by the same people.  They've only been open 3 weeks, so my wife and I decided to try them out last night.


It's still the same small space, with the unfortunate tendency of smoke from outside to creep in through the door, but it's an entirely new menu.  For now, it's pretty simple, but that could change in the future.  My wife ordered the chicken tacos, and I opted for the carnitas tacos.  Then I also ordered the avocado salad.  The prices are up there for sure (Mexican food is considered exotic here...).  Also when we were there there was only one guy in the kitchen, so it could take a while to get your food depending on how busy they are.


The avocado salad was unremarkable, though the dressing was a bit sweet.  My wife's chicken tacos were entirely white meat, which she prefers, but I dislike.  They didn't taste very spiced at all, lacking in flavor.  There was very little else other than meat with some raw onions sprinkled on top.  The tacos were flour based, and definitely not hand made.  My carnitas tasted a bit better, but still pretty low volume on the spices...just kind of a bit bland really.  I had to pour on the sauce provided to get things to taste a bit more interesting.


Overall we both give it an Ok, especially given the crazy high prices.  Portions are pretty large though...too large for my taste.  Still, that's the highest rating for a Mexican restaurant I've ever given in Yokosuka.  I am looking forward to returning to try some other items on the menu, and also visiting the Yokohama location at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment