Saturday, May 5, 2018

Lonesmoke BBQ

Location: Lonesmoke BBQ


Rating: Very good
Meal: Dinner for 2
Price: 3807 yen (we got a 6% discount as it was opening night)
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Pulled pork, brisket, beef tips
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: No



Lonesmoke BBQ has been a long time coming.  It was started by a guy on base who made his own BBQ and sold it to people out of his apartment.  Eventually the base got annoyed with him and told him he had to stop.  I guess it got too popular?  Anyway, now he has opened a small restaurant at the top floor of a building just about right next to Nawlins, the only other BBQ joint in town.  He's been kind of open for quite a while now, but last night was his official opening.  I've eaten there in the past a couple of times, and once bought a whole rack of ribs to take home and scarf, so last night's meal was definitely not the first.  But I wanted to wait until he had fully opened before doing the review.


Pulled pork on rice with a side of beans

It's going to be hard not to compare Nawlins with Lonesmoke, as they are right next to each other and the only BBQ scene in town.  I genuinely wish them both well, and want them both to succeed.  I believe competition is good and already I've heard that Nawlins has stepped up their game in response.  Also, Nawlins has by far a better beer selection, and lots of other none BBQ related food items, so in some ways, it's not a one to one comparison.  However, I made a point over the past few months of eating several times at Nawlins and trying their various meat selections so I'd be ready to give my personal opinion as to which has the better BBQ, and I'm afraid it's going to be Lonesmoke.  Having said that, I know at least 3 people at work who disagree with me, and I'm no BBQ aficionado, so take it with a grain of salt.


Brisket, no sides

One other way in which I prefer Lonesmoke is that the service is not so abysmally slow, at least for the times I've been there.  Also, I like their sandwich bread better.  I also like how they are set up to serve me as much meat as I want for what feels like a better price, so I can take it home.  All of it adds up to a slight preference for Lonesmoke on my part.  But if I want a decent beer with my food, it's gonna have to be Nawlins, even though their beer selection went downhill after their beer meister left a while back.


Beef tips, no sides

No comments:

Post a Comment