Monday, May 14, 2018

Mantra

Location: Mantra


Rating: OK
Meal: Dinner
Price: 2700 yen
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes:  Chicken tikka masala, nawabi gosht
English Menu:Yes
Smoking:No


I was in Tokyo this weekend and on Saturday evening I had checked into a hotel near Ueno station.  As I was waiting for my wife to join me, I wandered down to the big market area just south of the station and found Sheesha Dubai, a shisha joint.  After spending a couple of hours there I started hunting for dinner.  It's really hard to pick a place to eat when there are so many all around.  Eventually I spotted an Indian restaurant named Mantra on the 3rd floor of a building and made my way up.


They had a buffet option, but I wasn't inspired by the choices.  Also, the bread options were strictly naan, so again, not a good sign.  I went for some chicken tikka masala and a lamb curry dish.  At first I was really surprised by how tender the lamb was, til I realized it was actually lamb kebab, not pieces of lamb.  Both dishes tasted ok, but lacked in the multi-spectrum of real indian food.  Heavily salty actually.  They did make me a salty lassi, for which I am grateful.


Overall, an ok Indian spot.  There are better, but further away.


No comments:

Post a Comment