Saturday, September 3, 2016

Waikiki Kitchen

Location: Waikiki Kitchen

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  10.403 BHD (10% tax and 10% gratuity added)
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Parrot fish with roasted vegetables and rice, and an expensive glass bottle of water (oops)
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: No, and a guy tried to light up and was told to stop!



The second of the restaurants here at the Elite Crystal Hotel in Bahrain that I've eaten at, Waikiki Kitchen bills itself as a Hawaiian restaurant.  They also advertise their seafood.  I had a complimentary drink coupon from the front desk so I figured I'd try it out.  I wasn't too excited by what I saw on the menu though.  Not sure how authentically Hawaiian you can be without spam on the menu!


Say hello to my leetle friend!
Then the waiter came and suggested I have a look at the "catch of the day" selection.  I'm not really one for seafood (unless it's raw and on rice), but I figured what the heck, I wasn't seeing much I liked on the menu anyway.  The chef suggested the parrot fish and I got pick what sides I wanted.  I selected roasted vegetables and rice.  They weighed the fish and it was estimated to be around 8 BHD.  Again, I'm not a seafood guy, but that seemed pretty reasonable for a whole fresh fish.  I waited about 15 minutes and presto, there it was all nicely filleted with the head.  The roasted veggies were tasty, as was the rice, but the fish itself was one of the best I've ever had.  If I was a big fish person, I might rate it an Excellent meal, but as it was, thought I enjoyed it, it's not something I'm likely to order again.  I contemplated only eating half and taking the rest back, but found myself licking the last bite before I knew it.  Oh well...


Parrot fish with rice and vegetables
The total price including the accidentally ordered bottled water (some fancy water in a glass bottle, oops), and the mandatory 10% gratuity and 10% tax, was about 10 BHD which is about $30.  Expensive for a single meal, yes, but for a freshly cooked whole fish at a fancy restaurant, not too bad.  I'm giving this place a Very Good, though I don't know that it would have gotten above an Ok if I'd just ordered off the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment