Monday, June 1, 2015

Guranma

Location: Guranma


*** Update 6/25/2019 ***

I noticed a name change at this restaurant, so I stopped in to check it out.  It's now called "Guranma" possibly a Japanification of "grandma".  The menu is pretty much the same, serving the same types of Japanese home-cooking teishokus.





***
Rating: OK
Meal: Lunch
Price: 1000 yen
Payment:  Cash only
Dishes: Tonkatsu Teishoku
English Menu:No
Smoking:Yes


Menu on the outside
Sushikin does not (so far as I can tell) serve any sushi.  Well there are some sashimi dishes, but it's not a sushi specialty restaurant.  Instead it's a typical Japanese "teishoku" place where you can get several different teishoku meals depending on what you like.  It's also very local, not fancy at all, which is nice sometimes.  They didn't even bother ascertaining the level of my Japanese ability and promptly marched me outside to point at a picture.  I had had the ginger miso pork before (it was good) so I went for the tonkatsu (breaded fried pork).



While it doesn't hold a candle to Hirokatsu, it's wasn't terrible.  About what you'd expect for that kind of place.  Of course, Hirokatsu is also 1000 yen for the best hand made tonkatsu you've ever tasted, and it's closer.  But it also opens at 12pm and takes at a solid hour.

The side dishes were unremarkable, though I did like the miso soup as it had chunks of agedofu in it and tasted hearty.  The rice was oddly under flavored and I had to drown it a bit in soy sauce and shichimi. Also, the nasty mayonnaise covered noodles side dish was horrible.  But the little cube of tofu with bonito flakes on top was tasty.

All in all, it's not a bad place, but a bit far afield to get into the rotation much.

No comments:

Post a Comment