Friday, September 4, 2015

Niban

Location: Niban
Rating: OK
Meal:  Dinner
Price: 2000 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Ramen, gyoza and green pepper beef
English Menu: No
Smoking: Not that I recall

Green pepper beef
Niban is a Japanese Chinese restaurant located right on 16 but a bit around the bend from the base.  My son and I tried eating there once before, but we left when we discovered they didn't have any fried rice on the menu (my son loves the chahan).  Since it is one of the few places I have not reviewed, we decided to return and see if they still didn't server fried rice.

 They didn't.  Apparently it hurts the chef's arm...at least that's the explanation we received both times we asked.


One coin (500 yen) ramen
 Oh well...my son ordered the "plain" ramen (500 yen, awesome), and I ordered some gyoza and green pepper beef stir fry with a bowl of rice.  The ramen was pretty good, if standard shoyu style.  I thought the noodles were nice and firm, and the menma was some of the best I've ever had.  The gyoza was also a standout, some of the biggest, juiciest gyoza I've had around here.  Quite the surprise.  I can't say the green pepper beef was amazing, but it certainly wasn't bad.




Gyoza
 So overall, I was quite pleased with this place, despite their lack of fried rice.  It's still pretty so-so compared to a few other spots in Yokosuka, and none of them are actually excellent, but hey, sometimes you want some cheap, delicious ramen and gyoza!

No comments:

Post a Comment