Friday, September 25, 2015

Ginza Ogura

Location: Ginza Ogura

Rating: OK
Meal:  Dinner part 2
Price: 2480 yen
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Oden teishoku, avocado and tomato dish
English Menu: Yes
Smoking:No




Part 2 of my Haneda Airport dinner, after the Nihonbashi Dashi bar, was Ginza Ogura, a Japanese restaurant with oden!  I love oden, which is various interesting items that have been soaking in a dashi broth for a very long time and are permeated by it.  Unfortunately I have mostly had oden from convenience stores because finding dedicated restaurants to it is kind of rare these days.  It's  known as "drinking" food, so I guess you're supposed to drink alcohol while eating oden, but I didn't feel the need myself.  At Haneda International Airport, up on the second deck, there are several great restaurants, and since I was by myself I decided to give the oden at Ginza Ogura a shot.  (I am the only one in my family who likes oden).




You can order the oden a la cart if you wish (the menu is very well translated into English), but I went for the teishoku which came with 5 or so pieces plus some pickles and rice that looked like it had been cooked in some of the broth.  It was all very enjoyable.  I also spied an avocado/tomato dish on the menu that called my name so I asked for that as well.  It looked like a ton of food, but I didn't feel bloated afterwards, so maybe it wasn't as much as it appeared (one of my favorite features of teishokus).



However, I wasn't blown away by the oden I have to say.  There was something missing, maybe the broth wasn't as flavorful as I was hoping.  I'm no expert, so it's hard to say, but I have heard that Tokyo style oden is a bit stronger than others and maybe this one was on the low end of the spectrum.  The tomato avocado dish was great though!

There are so many other great places to eat at Haneda that I probably won't be coming back to this place very often, but it wasn't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment