Thursday, December 14, 2017

Suehiro

Location: Suehiro
Rating: OK
Meal: Dinner
Price: 950 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Kalbi cheese mock, Chicken curry cheese mock, sesame balls
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: No


This is a very odd place.  It was very popular with the neighborhood kids, that's for sure...had a kind of 50's neighborhood diner vibe going on.  Their specialty is "cheese mock" which I could find zero references to on the Internet.  So maybe this is an original idea?

Not very photogenic food

What is a cheese mock you ask?  Well, it starts with a thin, crep-like base (slightly sweet) within which is placed any combination of sweet or savory items.  How is this different than a crepe?  I'm not sure...but apparently it is.  I had a kalbi beef and chicken curry cheese mock.  It took forever to make them...and it was stiflingly hot in there.  When they finally arrived, I found out that he apparently thought I wanted them to go, so I ended up with everything in a to go bag.  I proceeded to eat them there, very carefully, as the temperature of the cheese inside was molten.  In addition to the cheese and meat, there were other things:  mayonnaise, lettuce, fusulli noodles, camembert cheese.  It was surprisingly tasty, though I wish the base crepe wasn't so sweet.  I also got some sesame balls, which were very homemade and tasted great.

While I'm rating the food an Ok, I still really liked the place for its unique qualities.  If I lived in the area I'd probably be a regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment