Thursday, March 30, 2017

Akai Helmet

Location: Akai Helmet

Rating: OK
Meal: Dinner for 2
Price: 3640 yen
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Okonomiyaki, kimichi fried rice, garlic/pork/beansprouts, shochu
English Menu: No
Smoking: Yes


After the first day of the roller derby tournament in Okinawa, my wife and I were dead tired, but really hungry.  We started walking towards the main drag from our Airbnb and I saw a restaurant on Google maps called "red helmet", so we took a chance and veered off towards that.  It turned out to be a really nice, swanky izakaya with a great vibe.  We didn't mind the smoking because it masked the awful smells coming from our unwashed bodies.

Moyashi stir fry

It looks like they specialize in teppanyaki type dishes, including okonomiyaki, one of my wife's favorite dishes.  They also had several potato based shochus and I tried one out, much to my liking.  My meal was kimchi fried rice and garlic/pork/beansprouts which were ok.  The flavors were rather muted overall so despite the great ambience I'm rating this place an Ok.

Kimchi fried rice

okonomiyaki

Origin of the name

No comments:

Post a Comment