Thursday, May 12, 2016

Hirahachi

Location: Hirahachi

Rating: Very good
Meal: Lunch
Price:  750 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes:Burnt sardine and chicken broth ramen
English Menu: No
Smoking: No (maybe?)


My friend and I finally made it to the ramen shop that I've been trying to get to for a month or so now.  It's far enough away that you have to ride a bike to make it there and back during lunch.  Hirahachi specializes in sardine broth ramen with what appears to be hakata style noodles.  My friend got the straight broth and I got one that turned out to be "burnt" sardine and chicken broth.  I kind of wish I had the straight stuff, it was more pungent.


It's definitely not very foreigner friendly, but the guys at the counter were nice enough, and my friend is fluent in Japanese, so no issues there.  The menu is rather inscrutable, but if you go for the dishes between 750 and 900 yen you won't go wrong.  Apparently they also do miso and salt ramen, but these are not the specialties.   There were also a couple of limited quantity oyster ramen dishes available, but you can't try all of the ramen at once!

Again, very pleased with the different style and I enjoyed it very much.  Two minor quibbles are that I could have done with more broth and the noodles had a bit of a chalky consistency, but no deal breakers.  Oh, I should also mention that for the same base price (750 yen) you can get "more noodles"...kind of a special deal or something?  Anyway...who doesn't want more noodles?

No comments:

Post a Comment