Thursday, October 27, 2016

Iwamatsu Tendon

Location: Iwamatsu Tendon

Rating: Very good
Meal:  Lunch
Price:  1000 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Large Shrimp Tendon
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: No


I've been meaning to review this restaurant and tried several times last spring before it got too hot to ride my bike for lunch.  I realized the other day that fall was truly upon us, so I brought my bike to ride out to Iwamatsu Tendon.  I was thrilled to see no line when I arrived, but then realized that was because every seat inside was already full.  It's a small place, with counter seating only, and it's quite popular, a good indicator.


So I waited outside for about 10 minutes until a seat was vacated.  Upon sitting down I was asked what number, and I confusedly looked at the Japanese dishes hanging from the wall (my kanji reading skills being ok, but not great).  After butchering one of them the lady pointed towards a different English menu with numbers next to each item, making ordering much easier.  I got a large shrimp tendon.

Tendon is short for tempura don, or tempura rice bowl, and that's what this place specializes in.  I was also asked if I wanted pickled vegetables or miso soup, and I opted for miso soup, though it never actually arrived.  Oh well, the tendon was plenty of food, with 2 enormous shrimp and several very delicious vegetables.  They cook it fresh right in front of you, no shortcuts.  I think this place deserves its reputation.

I got a fairly spendy dish as I wanted to try it out, but they also have several very cheap options on the menu that looked great from what I saw of other people's dishes.  I really like this place and would very happily return.

No comments:

Post a Comment