Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Katagaiminamaeshokudou

Location: Katagaiminamaeshokudou


Rating: OK
Meal: Breakfast
Price: 540 yen
Payment: Cash only
Dishes: Eggs and (not real) bacon teishoku
English Menu: No
Smoking: No


I was returning from dropping of my wife at Narita Airport this morning when I discovered I was hungry.  I had already eaten leftover 7-11 ramen for breakfast, but for some reason I was peckish again.  So I stopped at a rest area with a restaurant sign and found this food court.  Within the food court only one restaurant was open, the nigh unpronounceable Katagaiminamaeshokudou.  The "shokudou" just means "cafeteria" but still...just take a look at all those kanji!  I asked for the name and wrote down what I heard, but now that I look at the written name I can see it can't possibly be that, but oh well, I doubt they'll care too much.


Beggars can't be choosers, and of the mostly fishy items on the menu I saw a bacon and eggs teishoku (with rice, miso, seaweed and tsukemono) that looked promising.  I shuddered a bit when I saw the eggs broken over the bacon and then popped into the microwave, but it came out surprisingly all right, as long as you are prepared for the disappointment of the bacon being not...actually bacon.  Not in the American sense of course.  I mean, the strips look kind of like bacon, but none of the delicious cured tastiness or crispiness is there.  That's par for the course in Japan (aaaand pretty much anywhere not the US).

Overall I wasn't too displeased.  Still, it hardly merits more than an Ok.  Price was great though!

No comments:

Post a Comment