Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Sherpa

Location: Sherpa

Rating: Very good
Meal: Lunch
Price: 1050 yen
Payment: Cash only (for now)
Dishes: Sherpa special curry
English Menu: Yes
Smoking:Yes


****
Update 1/28/2017

Wow, things change quick around here.  Sherpa has been replaced by KC's Craft Beer Dining!  It's also an Indian restaurant (Nepalese still) but under different ownership.  Check out the new review.

****

Sherpa is the latest "Indian" restaurant to pop-up in Yokosuka.  It's a bit different in that it appears to be going more for the Nepalese vibe, and it also has some Thai curry dishes on its menu.  It's also deliberately going for a "bar" feel, so smoking is allowed and you have to descend into subterranean room to find the place.


Needless to say, my expectations were rather low, so I was pleasantly surprised at the variety on the menu.  They have some very attractive lunch prices, but I figured I should let them shine, so I ordered the Sherpa special set (the only thing that comes with a drink and salad, drinks are usually 90 yen extra).  It was a curry soup dish that the waiter was pleased to tell me was "the real nepal taste."  I ordered at about 4 spice level (on a scale of 1 to 5) and enjoyed the warmth that ensued.  It was chock full of veggies and a chicken leg.  I heard the cook going nuts in the back while cooking it, so it seems everything is done up fresh.



I am looking forward to returning and trying some of the cheaper lunch options!

****

Last night my son and I went back to Sherpa and I am pleased to report that both the butter chicken curry with rice he ordered and the Himalayan fried rice I ordered worth both quite good.  The butter chicken curry was pretty plain, but not uninteresting, and I quite enjoyed the very flavorful fried rice.  I also had a chat chana (garbanzo bean salad) and was very pleased with the texture of the beans and the flavors.  So far everything I've had here is quite good!

No comments:

Post a Comment