Saturday, February 15, 2020

Himalayan Spice

Location: Himalayan Spice


Rating: Very good
Meal:  Dinner for 3
Price: 51.20 GBP
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Lamb and paneer starters, whiskey, bottled water, mutton biryani, lamb and chicken tikka
Smoking: No


Ironic, I know.  The first place we eat on our trip to England/Scotland is a Nepalese Indian restaurant!  But it was the evening of our first day, we were loopy from jet lag, and after wandering up and down the streets at about 4:30pm it was one of the few already open.


Still getting used to the prices, I didn't look at anything and ordered as usual, expecting small portions like in Japan.  However there was plenty per dish and prices are up there, so in future I'll be trying to be more careful.


However I'm happy to report that the food itself was quite good, with much stronger and complex flavors than the Nepalese restaurants in Japan manage to achieve.  My son's biryani was exceptionally tasty, though we wish we had gotten the raita instead of curry dish that came with it.  My wife and I got lamb and chicken tikka, which was quite good.  The chicken was boneless white meat, but still moist, and the lamb had a lovely smoked flavor to it.  They came with a reddish dipping sauce which was disappointing as it was like a slightly spicy thousand island dressing.


Overall I'd give this a very good, but mainly in comparison to our recent Indian experiences.  It is possible there is much better in town, but I don't know if we'll have time to get to them as we're only here two nights.



No comments:

Post a Comment