Thursday, October 12, 2017

Sakura no Mon

Location: Sakura no Mon

Rating: Very good
Meal: Dinner
Price:  2917 yen
Payment: Credit cards accepted
Dishes: Bacon salad, pork kimchi fry, roasted garlic chicken
English Menu: Yes
Smoking: Yes (pretty sure)


I was walking by the Gold's Gym building on Blue Street last night and noticed that the lineup of Izakaya type restaurants had shifted a bit.  It appears a couple of places have closed and one had been replaced.  I headed up to the replacement which turned out to be Sakura no Mon, which is a cute name that might translate as Cherry Tree Gate.


"Mandatory" appetizer

The entrance was attractive, which was good as the lobby area outside the elevator is kind of nasty and smells of stale cigarettes.  Once inside I was led to a familiar looking small enclosed room, precisely the same one I ate in before when this was called Tofuro.  Luckily the room was not stuffy this time, and the service was very prompt.


Huuuge salad

I ordered what I figured would be a smallish bacon salad, along with some pork fried with kimchi and some roasted garlic chicken.  When the salad arrived I was amazed to find it was large enough for at least two people, and the lettuce was deliciously crunchy romaine, quite hearty.  The other two dishes were about what you'd expect, both quite tasty.  I was, however, extremely full having eaten all of that salad by myself!


Pork kimchi fry

The price was pretty good too, so I am glad to give this place a hearty Very Good rating.


Garlic chicken

Surprisingly I was not asked whether I wanted a smoking section or not, so I'm not certain whether they have one.  Given that it's an izakaya, it's virtually certain that smoking is allowed, but at least inside it doesn't smell too much like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment